Monday, October 14, 2013

Light Post Run


Hello friends,

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week. The weather is getting colder and I am more excited than ever. Fall makes me want to combine my exercise with nature.  Naturally, I have a really “fun” workout to get you out in the fall weather and enjoy the quickly changing leaves.

This workout I call the “Light Post Run”. This workout can be done anywhere but I am customizing it to be done on the block surrounding Washburn University.  The map of the route is posted below. 

The main point of this workout is to improve sprinting abilities.

I went out and counted the number of street lamps on SW Washburn Avenue. After a peaceful run I learned that there were about 40 street lamps on each street.

For this workout, you vary your speed based on the amount of street lamps passed. So when I tested out this workout I sprinted and passed five lamp posts. After I passed five, I proceeded to jog at a slower place and passed three more. Then I started up again sprinting and completed that side with eight repetitions.

After I completed that one side I started on the SW 21st Street side and then turned on MacVicar Avenue. Normally I would have completed the whole block by doing the same thing on SW 17th St but since they are redoing the street I thought doing one less side would encourage me to do the sprinting portion at a faster rate.

This run can be done down any street with light posts.  Just pick how many light posts you want to sprint past, then how many you want to jog past.  While you run, enjoy the changing leaves.  

Finally, to celebrate a good workout, find a big leaf pile to jump in and celebrate a job well done.   Workouts are hard, but they should also be fun.

Today I picked the Bible verse: “He will order his angels to protect you wherever you go.”   Psalm 91:11. While running anywhere one needs to be aware of their surroundings. It doesn’t matter if it is on a sidewalk, a trail or in the woods. But no matter where you are exercising or just living, remember that God and Jesus are protecting you.

God Bless,

Jamie



View Larger Map
View Larger Map

2 comments:

  1. I run around campus quite often and I'm looking for a change of scenery. I don't know Topeka well enough to know where running trails are. You could do a post about different trails in the Topeka area and which ones you like the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also don't know Topeka very well yet and am so glad you included the map in your post. I think that will be very helpful and a change of pace from the Rec. Thanks again for the map. I'll be sure to use it when I'm out next!

    ReplyDelete