Sunday, October 6, 2013

There is a Chill in the Air

Happy Fall Everyone!

The leaves are finally changing and the weather is getting colder. That means two things in the running world. Be smart and precautious while running and wear warmer running gear. This week I will be discussing tips on running in the cold and next week I will discuss specific items to wear in the cold.

After three years of cross-country and track I received lots of advice on ways to be safe while in the cold. These are three of my favorite tips:

1.     Always wear warm clothes.

This may seem obvious but a lot of people don’t wear the proper attire for the weather. The key to dressing correctly is to wear layers.  

When dressing in layers, the most important first layer is tight clothing. I personally recommend wearing some type of undershirt that clings to you and some running tights. Next week I will get into some specific brands that I enjoy the most but essentially any brand that fits will do.

For the second layer, I keep it simple. On the top half I usually wear a normal cotton shirt.  It can be either short or long sleeves. It doesn’t really keep you warm but in case you get hot under the third layer it allows you to shed a layer. The bottom half is a personal preference. Sometimes I wear normal sweatpants but usually I just stick with leggings.

The third and final layer I wear is a sweatshirt. It can be a baggy sweatshirt or it could be a thin pullover. Just make sure it is confortable over the other two layers.

 2.  Always keep your hands and ears covered.

Some people feel like a little kid when bundling up, but it is important. I personally wear either a hat or ear warmers. By keeping your ears and head warm it dramatically lowers your chances of catching a cold.

Wearing gloves can be a very “touchy” subject for runners. Some runners enjoy the warmth gloves offer. But others experience tingly sensations in their fingers when they wear gloves.  I personally am a glove person.

Gloves and head warmers are very important while running in the cold but again in the end it is personal preference.
    
3.  Stay Motivated.

This tip isn’t just about safety.  It is also about staying fit in the winter. People think that winter is a time when they can hide their fat under clothes and hibernate. But in actuality that isn’t what winter should be about. 

Winter should be about improvement. Instead of giving up on working out you should prepare for the summer. Get in shape now. Don’t wait until the summer to get that “bikini bod”. Try to retain your shape. It will make workouts more enjoyable and productive because you have a goal to strive for.

This week the Bible verse I chose wasn’t directly correlated to running but about the seasons changing. This week I chose Psalm 74:17 “It was You who set all the boundaries of the earth; You made both summer and winter.”

This verse is helpful at the start of fall because it reminds us that just because the seasons are changing, it doesn’t make them entirely different. God made all seasons and wanted his children to live and thrive through them. Don’t take the winter off and be a slug. Instead try to live and workout this winter for the glory of Him.

God Bless.


Jamie

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the helpful tips for the upcoming winter months, they are all helpful and beneficial! I'll be sure to use them to stay warm and cold free. Once again, love the bible verse-keeps me motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you like to shop for your running outfits/gear? I like how you motivate people to workout and become healthy! I love this weeks bible verse like always! Keep up the good job! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally I love just Dicks Sporting Goods and Nike Outlet. Running gear is most of the time very expensive but it is worth the money. Thanks again for the kind words!

      Delete