Monday, November 18, 2013

Ouch Charlie! That Really Hurt!

Hello fellow athletes,

I hope everyone is having a fantastic Monday! Today I wanted to discuss ways to help heal injuries. Being an athlete means that sometime in your athletic life you will get an injury.  I hope my tips can help you heal faster and get you back out on the trails again.

·      Medicate: When I was in track our coaches said that every day of the season we should be taking two ibuprofen tablets twice a day after practice. In some sense I believe that is a good idea but I wouldn’t say every day. After a rough workout, a race or even at the beginning of the season, it is a good idea to take some ibuprofen with a meal. Taking an ibuprofen can help soreness, injured or pulled muscles or even sickness after a workout. All in all, it is a miracle healer.

·      Heating Pads: I remember my sophomore year of track when at the end of the season I was having ankle problems. My sports doctor suggested that before practice every day I should heat my ankle or anything else that was in pain for 15 min. The reason why heating helps soreness is that it relaxes the muscles and helps it get “warmed up” for the workout.

·      Ice: Ice is the best thing ever invented for athletes and runners.  No matter what is injured, icing that spot will most of the time reduce the pain and the swelling. The easiest technique to use when icing is simply putting ice in a bag and placing it on the injury. Place the ice bag on the injury until it is numb and then remove the ice bag until the feeling comes back.  Repeat a total of four times.

My favorite technique for icing is a beautiful thing called an “ice bath”. An ice bath consists of a giant tub filled with as cold water as possible (try for 40°-50° F) and lots of ice. This can be done in a bathtub or sometimes gyms have a giant metal tub that can be used. The same technique can be used as normal icing. Just soak your injury in the cold water until numb and it can be repeated as much a wanted. This process may be painful and uncomfortable but will do wonders.

Today I chose the verse John 16:33, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” Going back to my previous post, finals week is coming and stress is very high. Just remember that you may encounter struggles.  But they are worth it and will turn out for the better.

Have a wonderful day!

Jamie



1 comment:

  1. Those are all great tips for an injury. Last year I had tendonitis and shin splints, all of those definitely helped for me! I also love your bible verse, keeps me going through this stressful time!

    ReplyDelete